Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Like us on Facebook!

This site was created for the Quad city area but anyone is welcome!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Healthy you 3/17/11

So I just picked up a new book from the library. A few of my friends started reading it and are really enjoying it. It sounded great from what they were telling me so of coarse I want to read it. I turned to the first page and WOW, off the bat it already hits the spot. The introduction is called 'Finding Your "Want To". How perfect is that? Most of us know that if we eat foods that are healthy for you, you're going to be healthy. Most of us know what foods are healthy. Its not a matter of, you must eat them or you could have major health issues or even you should eat them because they're better for you. When it comes down to it, it's all about motivation. Here's what it says in some of my favorite parts just in the introduction!'
:
   It's not the 'how to' I'm missing. It's the 'want to'..really wanting to make changes and deciding that the results of those changes are worth the sacrifice.
   The cycle continues day after day, week after week, year after year. A whole lifetime could be spent making excuses, giving in, feeling guilty, resolving to do better, mentally beating myself up for not sticking to my resolve, feeling like a failure, and then resigning myself to the fact that things can't change.
   And I don't want to spend a lifetime in this cycle.
She goes on to talk about the story in Matthew 19 about the rich young ruler. She says basically its like us asking how we can get closer to God? And in Matthew 19:21 it says 'If you want to be perfect (whole), go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me'. She says Jesus isn't only saying 'give up your treasures and follow me' . He's saying 'I want you to give up the one thing you crave more than me.(unhealthy food) Then come, follow me." Wow! I paraphrased this last part.

So how is that for the first 5 pages of a book! This book, if you want to look more into it, is 'Made to Crave' by Lysa Terkeurst. I'm really looking forward to reading more.


I have a really good recipe for some low calorie, high fiber, crave satisfying cupcakes. You take a box cake mix(any flavor you want), something sugar free if you can. Add 1 can of Pumpkin. Add 1/2 cup water. Mix well. Put into cupcake tin. Bake on 350 for about 20 minutes. Can add a little whip cream to the top and these are about 50 calories if you use the small cupcake tin and 100 calories if you use the normal size.

No comments: